Day 4 - Sarx Is Out To Get You
STEP 1 - Read Galatians 5:13-26
(13) You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh (Sarx); rather, serve one another humbly in love.
(14) For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (15) If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
(16) So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh (Sarx).
(17) For the flesh (Sarx) desires what is contrary to the Spirit,
and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.
They are in conflict with each other,
so that you are not to do whatever you want.
(18) But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
(19) The acts of the flesh (Sarx) are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; (20) idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions (21) and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
(22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (24) Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh (Sarx) with its passions and desires. (25) Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (26) Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
STEP 2 - Reflect
Have you ever seen a cartoon in which a person has a little angel sitting on one shoulder giving them good advice, and a little devil sitting on the other shoulder tempting them?
This is what’s going on in your head all the time. In fact, the Greek word for ‘flesh’ sounds like the name of a little devil: Sarx. You need to know a couple of things: First, you’re not the only person experiencing tremendous temptations. All people, even Christians, constantly have a little Sarx whispering in their ear, tempting you with ideas that conflict with God’s law.
Remember, you’ve been called to be free, but this does NOT mean that you can just do whatever you want. You live in a world that’s bombarding you with the idea that you can define what’s right and wrong anyway you like. This is a lie - the same lie that the serpent tempted Adam and Eve with in the garden.
You may think you’re the only person experiencing temptation, but let today’s verses remind you that everyone - no matter how good and perfect they seem - has a little Sarx trying to pull them away from what God wants you to do.
In fact, the only people who don’t feel the conflict are those who haven’t been called by God! For them, Sarx is the only one sitting on their shoulder! That means that the fact that you struggle with temptation is a sign that the Holy Spirit is active in your life!
STEP 3 - Respond
STEP 4 - Reach up in prayer
ACKNOWLEDGE WHO GOD IS: God, who has called me to be holy and pleasing to Him
ALIGN YOURSELF WITH GOD'S WILL: Pray for strength to resist Sarx
ASK FOR WHAT YOU NEED: for what you need today