Day 10 - One Last Tip
STEP 1 - Read Galatians 5:13-26
(13) You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh (Sarx); rather, serve one another humbly in love.
(14) For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (15) If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
(16) So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh (Sarx). (17) For the flesh (Sarx) desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
(18) But if (since) you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. (19) The acts of the flesh (Sarx) are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; (20) idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions (21) and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
(22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
(24) Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh (Sarx) with its passions and desires. (25) Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
(26) Let us
not become conceited,
provoking and envying each other.
STEP 2 - Reflect
This final verse is a counter balance to some of the things we’ve talked about the last couple of weeks.
Sarx has multiple strategies to drag you away from God. The stronger you get Spiritually, the less likely you will be to fall for temptations to commit the ugly sins listed in v19-20. But just because those sins don’t look very appealing doesn’t mean you’re out of danger!
Sarx is going to try and use your strength against you, by working to make you think that you’re the one producing the Spiritual Fruit in your life, and it’s because of your own strength that you’re keeping up with the Spirit.
In other words, if Sarx can’t trip you up with ugly sins, it will work on making you conceited instead. Or maybe instead of conceited, it will whisper in your ear that you’re never going to be quite as Spiritual as so and so, causing you to envy other Christians.
Don’t fall for it. When you feel those temptations, remember you need to respond quickly and kill off Sarx’s temptations again.
This is the perfect verse to finish with as you get ready to leave. You’re going to be meeting people next week that have been beat up again and again by their own version of Sarx. They may be stuck in the ugly sinful lifestyle that was described.
You’re going to be tempted to think that you’re better than them because you haven’t made those mistakes. Don’t fall for it.
Notice how this closing verse brings you right back to the beginning: you’re called to serve one another humbly in love.
STEP 3 - Respond
STEP 4 - Reach up in prayer
ACKNOWLEDGE WHO GOD IS: Thank God for being your Father and for saving you in Christ.
ALIGN YOURSELF WITH GOD'S WILL: Pray that you will not fall for the temptation to be cocky or envious
ASK FOR WHAT YOU NEED: for an awesome experience next week.