Updated: Jun 21, 2021
STEP 1 - Read Galatians 5:13-26
(13) You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh (Sarx); rather, serve one another humbly in love.
(14) For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (15) If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
(16) So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh (Sarx). (17) For the flesh (Sarx) desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
(18) But if (since)
you are led by the Spirit,
you are not under the law.
(19) The acts of the flesh (Sarx) are obvious:
sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
(20) idolatry and witchcraft;
hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions (21) and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.
I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
(22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (24) Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh (Sarx) with its passions and desires. (25) Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (26) Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
STEP 2 - Reflect
You’ve been set free. Jesus has called you from being enslaved to your sin, and on one hand He’s fully accomplished that for you, because He’s fully paid for your sins and will never let you go.
But on the other hand, it takes an entire lifetime for you to fully understand what it means to be the saint (holy person) He’s making you into.
Yesterday you were introduced to a character named Sarx (the Greek word for ‘flesh’), Sarx represents the sinful side of you that is trying to wreck all of the good things the Holy Spirit is working on in you.
Sarx’s temptations are “obvious” in how wrong they are. Notice how they fit into four categories:
Sexual sins - a set of temptations Sarx is hugely successful with in this world!
Unbiblical religious activities - we don’t really struggle with idolatry & witchcraft so much, but there are a ton of things masquerading as good religious things but that are actually pulling you away from God’s Word.
Sins that cause division with other people
Disgusting lifestyles in which people are only focused on living for their own happiness and satisfaction.
This is why it’s so important for you to realize that Jesus has made you different from the world. Rely upon the Holy Spirit’s strength to fight against Sarx’s constant temptations.
STEP 3 - Respond
STEP 4 - Reach up in prayer
ACKNOWLEDGE WHO GOD IS: God, your Father, who is holy and righteous
ALIGN YOURSELF WITH GOD'S WILL: Ask God for strength to overcome temptation
ASK FOR WHAT YOU NEED: for what you need today