Day 8 - Kill or Be Killed
Updated: Jun 2
STEP 1 - Read Galatians 5:13-26
(13) You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh (Sarx); rather, serve one another humbly in love.
(14) For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (15) If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
(16) So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh (Sarx). (17) For the flesh (Sarx) desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
(18) But if (since) you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. (19) The acts of the flesh (Sarx) are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; (20) idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions (21) and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
(22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
who belong to Christ Jesus
the flesh (Sarx)
with its passions and desires.
(25) Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (26) Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
STEP 2 - Reflect
Guess who’s back: it’s your old enemy, Sarx. Remember, Sarx represents the old sinful side of you, and Sarx is literally at war with the new creation you’ve become in Christ.
This is a kill or be killed situation, and you’re commanded to respond accordingly. Since you belong to Christ, you mustn’t just kill your old self (and the sinful things your old self likes to do), you need to crucify it - figuratively put it to the same death that Jesus experienced for you.
The problem is that this crucifixion is not a once and done action, as it was for Jesus. Sarx is a zombie: you kill it, and it gets back up and comes after you again, so you need to kill it again and again and again.
In fact, we could literally translate this passage this way:
Those who belong to Christ continually crucify Sarx with its passions and desires.
Don’t think you can outwit Sarx. Remember, Sarx desperately wants to drag you out of the Kingdom of God and into the ugly, sinful lifestyle described in v20. The sooner you kill it each time you notice it sneaking up, the better.
STEP 3 - Respond
STEP 4 - Reach up in prayer
ACKNOWLEDGE WHO GOD IS: Our God, who sent His Son to be killed so we might live
ALIGN YOURSELF WITH GOD'S WILL: Pray that you’ll be able to recognize and kill Sarx before it gets the advantage and causes you to fall back into sin.
ASK FOR WHAT YOU NEED: for what you need today